BIOFUELS FROM ALGAE AS A DIRECTION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE «GREEN» ECONOMY: THE CURRENT STATE AND PROSPECTS
SHEVCHUK Hanna – Candidate of Economic Sciences, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Administrative Management and Alternative Energy Resources, Vinnytsia National Agrarian University (21008, Vinnytsia, 3, Soniachna Str., e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
The article describes environmental aspects of the impact of traditional energy sources on the environment. It is substantiated that energy needs and environmental problems lead to the search for alternative renewable fuels. A comparative analysis of the structure of general supply between traditional and alternative energy sources is done. The current state of production and use of traditional fuels and prospects for the production of biofuels in Ukraine are analyzed. The projected structure of the use of traditional and alternative fuels according to the Energy Strategy of Ukraine until 2035 «Safety, energy efficiency, competitiveness» is presented.
The classification of biofuels is provided depending on raw materials: first, second and third generation. Unlike biofuels from crops such as sugar cane and corn (first-generation biofuels), as well as animal and vegetable wastes (second-generation), algae-derived fuels (third-generation biofuels) have many benefits. In particular, this is a greater potential for biofuel production compared to previous systems: a variety of possible fuels (biodiesel, bioethanol, biobutanol, biogas and even jet fuel); flexible production technologies. Algae cultivation technologies have been studied: especially cultivation in open reservoirs or in more advanced closed ponds and bioreactors. It is substantiated that algae are most often used for biodiesel production; a comparison of different technologies for its production is made. The foreign experience of algae biofuel production and its usage by various automobile companies and enterprises, as well as the prospects of algae biofuel production in Ukraine are presented. Despite the prospects for the production of the third-generation biofuels, there we think, that the issue of investigation has been not been studied properly by scientists and Ukrainian producers don’t have basic knowledge.
1. Barylo, A.A., Benmenni, M., Budko, V.I., Budko, M.O. et al. (2020). Vidnovliuvani dzherela enerhii [Renewable energy sources]. Kyiv: Instytut vidnovliuvanoi enerhetyky NANU [in Ukrainian].
2. Honcharuk, I.V. (2020). Orhanizatsiino-ekonomichne zabezpechennia enerhetychnoi nezalezhnosti ahropromyslovoho kompleksu [Organizational and economic provision of energy independence of the agro-industrial complex]. Ekonomika, finansy, menedzhment: aktualni pytannia nauky i praktyky – Economics, finance, management: topical issues of science and practical activity, 2 (52), 23-38. DOI: 10.37128/2411-4413-2020-2-2 [in Ukrainian].
3. Honcharuk, T.V. (2013). Formuvannia mekhanizmu innovatsiinoho zabezpechennia vyrobnytstva biopalyva: teoretyko-metodychnyi aspekt [Formation of the mechanism of innovative support of biofuel production: theoretical and methodological aspect]. Ahroinkom – Agroincom, 7-9, 57-60 [in Ukrainian].
4. Sait Derzhavnoi sluzhby statystyky Ukrainy [Site of the State statistics service of Ukraine]. ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
5. Informatsiinyi portal pro alternatyvni dzherela enerhii u sviti ta Ukraini [Information portal about alternative energy sources in the world and Ukraine]. surl.li. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/wwbq [in Ukrainian].
6. Zolotarova, O. (2010). Kudy priamuie biopalyvna industriia? [Where the biofuel industry is headed?]. Visnyk NAN Ukrainy – Bulletin of the NAS of Ukraine, 4, 10-20 [in Ukrainian].
7. Kaletnik, G.M., & Kozak, K.V. (2016). Zelenij biznes – perspektiva pidpriyemnictva [Green business – the prospect of entrepreneurship]. Ekonomika, finansi, menedzhment: aktualni pitannya nauki i praktiki – Economics, finance, management: topical issues of science and practical activity, 12(16), 7-15 [in Ukrainian].
8. Nezalezhne informatsiine ahentstvo «Kosatka.media». Vykorystannia palyva v Ukraini [Independent news agency «Kosatka.media». Fuel use in Ukraine]. kosatka.media. Retrieved from: https://kosatka.media/uk/category /neft/analytics/potreblenie-energoresursov-v-yanvare-oktyabre-2019-goda [in Ukrainian].
9. Nova enerhetychna stratehiia Ukrainy do 2035 roku: «Bezpeka, enerhoefektyvnist, konkurentospromozhnist» [«Ukraine’s New Energy Strategy to 2035: Security, Energy Efficiency, Competitiveness»]. mpe.kmu.gov.ua. Retrieved from: http://mpe.kmu.gov.ua/minugol/doccatalog/document?id=245214948 [in Ukrainian].
10. Portal «Energy.ua». Biodyzel z vodorostei [Portal «Energy.ua». Biodiesel from algae]. eenergy.com.ua. Retrieved from: https://eenergy.com.ua/baza-znan/biodyzel-z-vodorostej/ [in Ukrainian].
11. Portal «Alternatyvnaia enerhyia». Podarky ot pryrody: byotoplyvo [Alternative Energy Portal. Gifts from nature: biofuels]. altenergiya.ru. Retrieved from: http://altenergiya.ru/bio/podarki-ot-prirody-biotoplivo.html [in Russian].
12. Proekt vyrobnycho-doslidnytskoho kompleksu z vyrobnytstva biopalyva z mikrovodorostei [Project of a production and research complex for the production of biofuels from microalgae]. surl.li. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/zbyp [in Ukrainian].
13. Synelnikov, O.D. (2016). Zabezpechennia ekolohichnoi bezpeky vodoskhovyshch shliakhom vykorystannia mikrovodorostei dlia vyrobnytstva enerhonosiiv [Ensuring environmental safety of water reservoirs through the use of microalgae for energy production].Candidate’s thesis. Lviv [in Ukrainian].
14. Skoruk, O.P., Tokarchuk, D.M., & Vsemirnova, V.M. (2011). Perspektyvy vyrobnytstva biopalyva tretoho pokolinnia [Prospects for third-generation biofuels]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Vinnytskoho natsionalnoho ahrarnoho universytetu. Seriia: Ekonomichni nauky – Collection of scientific works of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. Series: Economic Sciences, 1 (48), 171-176 [in Ukrainian].
15. ECOTOWN. Mazda switches to algae biofuels. ecotown.com.ua. Retrieved from: https://ecotown.com.ua/news/Mazda-pereyde-na-biopalivo-z-vodorostey/ [in English].
16. ECOTOWN. Ukraine can grow algae for biofuel production. surl.li. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/toly [in English].
17. KVAKUSHA. Biopalyvo z vodorostei otrymannia [KVAKUSHA. Biofuels from algae are obtained]. kvakusha.ru. Retrieved from: https://kvakusha.ru/uk/biotoplivo-iz-vodoroslei-poluchenie-proizvodstvo-biotopliva-iz-vodoroslei.html [in Ukrainian].
18. Pryshliak, N., Tokarchuk, D., Shevchuk, H. (2021). The socio-economic and environmental importance of developing biofuels: the Ukrainian case on the international arena. Polityka Energetyczna – Energy Policy Journal, 24 (1), 133-152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33223/epj/131829 [in English].
19. Treehugger. Making Biodiesel From Algae. treehugger.com. Retrieved from: https://www.treehugger.com/making-biodiesel-from-algae-85138 [in English].
071 Accounting and taxation
072 Finance, banking and insurance
076 Business, trade and exchange activities
241 Hotel, restaurant and catering
281 Public administration
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is included in the "List of Scientific Professional Editions of Ukraine".
The scientific edition is assigned the Category "Б" in the field of economics in specialties 051, 071, 072, 073, 075, 076, 241, 281
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” has a Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is indexed in such database as Index Copernicus Value (https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/search/form)
The editorial board of the journal is guided by the principles of scientific, objectivity, professionalism, informational support of the most significant innovative researches, observance of standards of publishing ethics.
The purpose of the journal "Economics, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity» is the coverage of leading scientific ideas in the economic, financial and management activities of the sectors of the national economy and the involvement of representatives of the domestic and foreign scientific professional community.
Objectives of the journal:
- publication of research findings on innovation in the economy, financial and management spheres, innovation of production processes;
- expanding partnerships with international scientific publishing organizations;
- enhancing the culture of reviewing and annotating published material;
- adherence to editorial ethics.
Article publishing is a paid service. Cost for printing in professional publications in accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 27, 2010 No. 796 "On approval of the list of paid services that can be provided by state educational institutions, other institutions of the educational system belonging to state and communal ownership" and the order Rector of the Higher Education University Mazura VA dated March 14, 2018 No. 93 “On setting the cost of printing in professional editions of the University”.
The cost of printing one page in professional editions of the university is 60 UAH.
An additional copy of the magazine with the mailing list costs 250 UAH.
Recipient: Vinnytsia National Agrarian University MFO 820172 Current account No. 31256282102055 Code 00497236 Bank State Treasury Service of Ukraine, Kyiv. VAT payer code 004972302286. Registration number 100271744. Purpose of payment: for printing an article in the journal: ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity "
It was founded in 1997 under the name "Bulletin of the Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute". In 2010-2014 he was published under the title “Collection of scientific works of Vinnitsa National Agrarian University”.
From 2015 ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity” (Certificate of State Registration of Mass Media No. 21154-10954 of PR as of December 31, 2014)
The journal is the successor to the edition ”Collection of Scientific Papers of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. Series: Economic Sciences. "