ENGLISH LEXICAL COMPETENCY OF ECONOMIC SPECIALTIES STUDENTS OF NONLINGUISTIC HIGHER INSTITUTIONS: THE COGNITIVE APPROACH
TYMOSHCHUK Nataliia – Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor of the
Ukrainian and Foreign Languages Department, Vinnytsia National Agrarian University (21008,
Vinnytsia, 3 Soniachna Str., e-mail: email@example.com).
The article deals with the problem of applying cognitive approach to teaching English
terminological vocabulary to students of economic specialties of higher educational institutions. Both
the notion of "cognitive approach" and its interpretation by domestic and
foreign scientists are considered. The system of cognitive exercises on learning English economic
terminology on the example of the topic "What is Business" are presented, they are based on the logical
operations of comparison, identification, disjunction, conjunction, analysis and synthesis, abstraction,
generalization, classification, typology, categorization, conceptualization, reasoning, the formulation
of concepts, and judgments. A comparative analysis of the formation of the English language lexical
competence of students of economic specialties has been carried out. It is proved that mastering of
foreign language professional vocabulary is one of the main components professional foreign language
because it increases the educational process efficiency, contributes to the formation of a competent
specialist, competitive in modern conditions. It has been proved that the cognitive approach to teaching
economic vocabulary significantly improved the students' ability to memorize the new terminological
vocabulary of business English effectively.
1. Naumenko, L., Olіinyk, O. (2018). Kohnіtyvnyi pіdkhіd u navchannі studentіv anhlіiskoi
termіnoleksyky predmetnoi haluzі “mіkroekonomіka” [The cognitive approach to teaching students
English terminological lexis of the subject field of “Microeconomics”]. Psykholіnhvіstyka (Fіlolohіia)
– Psycholinguistics (Philology), Vol. 24, Issue 2, 236-253 [in Ukrainian].
2. Jaeggi, S.M., Buschkuehi, M., Jonides, J., & Shah, P. (2011). Short- and Longterm Benefits of
Cognitive Training. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America,
3. Bodnar, S.V. (2014). Kognityvny pidhid do formuvannia leksychnoyi kompetentnosti studentiv
ekonomichnykh spetsialnostey [Cognitive approach to forming lexical competence of students of
economic specialties]. Nauka i osvita – Science and Education, 10, 34-38 [in Ukrainian].
4. Borshchovetska, V.D. (2004). Navchannia studentiv-economistiv angliyskoyi fakhovoyi leksyky
[Teaching Students-Economists English Special Lexis]. Candidate’s thesis. Кyiv, KSLU, 283 [in Ukrainian].
5. Melnyk, R.A. (2014). Kognityvny pidhid do navchannia spetsialnoyi leksyky studentiv-ekonomistiv [Cognitive Approach to Teaching Special Lexis Students-Economists]. Naukovyi chasopys
NPU imeni М.P. Dragomanovа – Scientific Journal of NPU named after М.P. Drahomanov, 49, 124-129 [in Ukrainian].
6. Sоlsо, R. (2001). Cognitive Psychology. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
7. Osgood, C. E. (1956). Method and Theory in Experimental Psychology, Oxford.
8. Wierzbicka, A. (1996). Semantics: Primes and universals: Primes and universals. Oxford
9. Rosch, E. (1973). Natural categories. Cognitive psychology. V.4.
10. Rubtsova, M. (2015). Kohnіtyvno-komunіkatyvnyi pіdkhіd do navchannia leksyky na
zaniattiakh z praktyky usnoho movlennia [Cognitive and communicative approach to teaching
vocabulary during speech practice classes]. Naukovyi vіsnyk Melіtopolskoho derzhavnoho
pedahohіchnoho unіversytetu. Serіia: Pedahohіka – Scientific Bulletin of Melitopol State Pedagogical
University. Series: Pedagogy, 14, 150-154 [in Ukrainian].
11. Stupak, M.H. (2018). Kohnіtyvnі metody navchannia іnozemnykh mov u VNZ [Cognitive
methods of teaching foreign languages at universities]. Proceedings from 14th
Internet Conference “Advanced Technologies of Science and Education”: Retrieved from:
http://intkonf.org/stupak-mg-kognitivni-metodi-navchannya-inozemnih-mov-u-vnz [in Ukrainian].
12. Kaletnіk, H.M., Kravets, R.A., Lazorenko, N.L., Tymkova, V.A. & Shapovaliuk, L.O.
(2013). Systema dovuzіvskoi pіdhotovky v krainakh Zakhіdnoi Yevropy ta іnnovatsіinі metody
navchannia u VNZ Ukrainy [The pre-university training system in Western Europe and innovative
teaching methods of higher education institutions in Ukraine]. Vіnnytsia: VNAU, 469 [in Ukrainian].
13. Kravets, R.A. (2008). Dіlovі іmіtatsіino-rolovі іhry na zaniattiakh іnozemnoi movy v
profesіinіi pіdhotovtsі maibutnіkh ekonomіstіv [Business imitation-role games at foreign language
classes in the professional training of future economists]. Ekonomіka. Fіnansy. Menedzhment: aktualnі
pytannia nauky і praktyky – Economy, finances, management: topical issues of science and practical
activity, 6 (34), 97-108 [in Ukrainian].
14. Pometun, O.I., Pobirchenko, N.S. & Kobernyk, H.I. (2008). Interaktyvni tekhnolohii: teoriia
ta metodyka [Interactive technologies: theory and methodology]. Kyiv, APN, 94 [in Ukrainian].
15. Tymoshchuk N.M. (2019). Professionally-oriented Teaching of a Foreign Language at the
Agrarian University. Molod і rynok. – Youth & Market, 1(168), 66-70.
16. Kovaliova, K.V. (2018). Prohrama navchalnoi dystsyplіny «Inozemna mova profesіinoho
spriamuvannia» dlia pіdhotovky fakhіvtsіv pershoho (bakalavrskoho) osvіtnoho stupenia haluzі znan 05
«Ekonomіka», spetsіalnostі 051«Ekonomіka» [The educational program of professional foreign language
for the bachelor specialists in Economics, specialty 051 Economics]. Vіnnytsia: VNAU, 15 [in Ukrainian].
071 Accounting and taxation
072 Finance, banking and insurance
076 Business, trade and exchange activities
241 Hotel, restaurant and catering
281 Public administration
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is included in the "List of Scientific Professional Editions of Ukraine".
The scientific edition is assigned the Category "Б" in the field of economics in specialties 051, 071, 072, 073, 075, 076, 241, 281
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” has a Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is indexed in such database as Index Copernicus Value (https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/search/form)
The editorial board of the journal is guided by the principles of scientific, objectivity, professionalism, informational support of the most significant innovative researches, observance of standards of publishing ethics.
The purpose of the journal "Economics, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity» is the coverage of leading scientific ideas in the economic, financial and management activities of the sectors of the national economy and the involvement of representatives of the domestic and foreign scientific professional community.
Objectives of the journal:
- publication of research findings on innovation in the economy, financial and management spheres, innovation of production processes;
- expanding partnerships with international scientific publishing organizations;
- enhancing the culture of reviewing and annotating published material;
- adherence to editorial ethics.
Article publishing is a paid service. Cost for printing in professional publications in accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 27, 2010 No. 796 "On approval of the list of paid services that can be provided by state educational institutions, other institutions of the educational system belonging to state and communal ownership" and the order Rector of the Higher Education University Mazura VA dated March 14, 2018 No. 93 “On setting the cost of printing in professional editions of the University”.
The cost of printing one page in professional editions of the university is 60 UAH.
An additional copy of the magazine with the mailing list costs 250 UAH.
Recipient: Vinnytsia National Agrarian University MFO 820172 Current account No. 31256282102055 Code 00497236 Bank State Treasury Service of Ukraine, Kyiv. VAT payer code 004972302286. Registration number 100271744. Purpose of payment: for printing an article in the journal: ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity "
It was founded in 1997 under the name "Bulletin of the Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute". In 2010-2014 he was published under the title “Collection of scientific works of Vinnitsa National Agrarian University”.
From 2015 ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity” (Certificate of State Registration of Mass Media No. 21154-10954 of PR as of December 31, 2014)
The journal is the successor to the edition ”Collection of Scientific Papers of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. Series: Economic Sciences. "