GAMING FORMS AT FOREIGN LANGUAGE LESSONS AS A MEANS OF IMPROVING STUDENTS MOTIVATION TO STUDY ECONOMIC VOCABULARY
TYMOSHCHUK Nataliia – Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor of the Ukrainian and Foreign Languages Department, Vinnytsia National Agrarian University (21008, Vinnytsia, 3 Soniachna Str., e-mail: email@example.com).
The article investigates the problem of increasing the motivation of students of nonlinguistic higher education institutions to study the new scientific (economic) English vocabulary through the use of game techniques at foreign language classes. The motivation of the higher education institution student who studies a foreign language is a necessary component of the educational process.
Today much attention is paid to the professional training of the future specialists, to the person adapting to the current conditions of the Ukrainian society development. We have become aware of the dominant role of language education. A specialist who speaks a foreign language has better prospects in job searching, studying abroad, participation in international projects and conferences, and getting acquainted with foreign professional experience. Our state is integrating into the European educational, economic and socio-cultural space. That’s why, a foreign language mastering is also necessary for the implementation of such an aspect of professional activity as the establishment of international contacts.
These aspects, of course, determine the structure, goals, content and features of the educational process organization. The motivational and necessary pedagogical conditions for ensuring the qualitative professional training of the future specialist have been searched for an effective motivation of university students to study a foreign professional language, because effective use of motivation allows identifying internal reserves of personality for its development, education and upbringing. Motivation can affect both the performance of activities and the development of the personality.
The aim of the article was to research the problem of increasing the students’ motivation of nonlinguistic higher institutions of education to study the new scientific (economic) English vocabulary through the use of game techniques at foreign language classes.
The main form of teaching a foreign professional language at the university is a lesson. We tried to find out what students of the faculty of management and law of the Vinnytsia National Agrarian University prefer to do at the foreign language classes. It was found that 36% of respondents have choses classes on the new professional terms memorizing; 24% of students have given priority communicative skills; spoken language is prevalent for 22% of respondents; writing various statements and documents is the main thing for 8% of future managers, 10% attend classes to assess their level. So, the vast majority of students of the faculty of management and law of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University want to study new professional vocabulary at their English lessons.
The results of monitoring on problem existing, the optimal form of new term memorizing and the most effective means of teaching and memorizing vocabulary among students of the faculty of management and law of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University are presented. A comparative analysis of the students’ marks and successes before and after the game forms application at the classes of foreign professional language is conducted. It is noted that mastering foreign language professional vocabulary is a key component of a foreign professional language, it enables to increase the efficiency of the educational process, contributes to the formation of a competent specialist who is competitive in modern conditions. The game forms of foreign professional economic vocabulary studying enhance the ability of students to memorize new English-language professional terms effectively.
At our foreign language classes we have used three well-known vocabulary games, i.e. I Have Who Has, the Fly Swat Game, and puzzles for vocabulary training for two months (eight lessons). It should be noted that before the experiment two students (4%) had excellent marks; 20 students (40%) had good marks, 23 (46 %) students had "D" and "E" marks; 5 students (10%) received "FX".
These studies have shown the effectiveness of using game techniques for studying foreign economic vocabulary. It was found that three students (6%) received excellent marks; 24 students (48%) received good marks; 22 students (44%) had "D" and "C" marks; only one student had a "FX" rating.
We agree that the evaluation system is an integral part of the game technique, because it aims to ensure the control of the quality of the acquired knowledge. Of course, such a system performs both control and self-monitoring function. The content of the game form is determined, undoubtedly, by its educational objectives.However, games significantly increased the vocabulary of students; they also led to an increase of their motivation to study a foreign professional language.
We think that vocabulary memorizing depends on the rationally, conscious perception of terminology by the recipients (students). We note that the cognitive approach is actively developing both in Ukrainian and world psychology, cognition, psychonometrics, psycholinguistics and linguistics, is intended to solve a difficult task. It consists both in memorizing foreign words and expressions and mastering the concepts, phenomena, processes, mechanisms. The more informed decisions student take in choosing the word, the higher the level of his cognitive awareness, the better the word is memorized. Thus, the use of game techniques increases the ability of students to remember new words, because they activate their cognitive activity.
It is proved that the analyzed form of economic vocabulary teaching significantly improves the ability of students to memorize the new English-language professional terms effectively, increased their motivation to study the new terminology of the business English language.
This publication has not researched all the aspects of the multifaceted nature of the problem under study, therefore, further research is considered promising. It is recommended to analyze the cognitive approach in teaching students of English terminology.
- Kravets, R.A. (2008). Dіlovі іmіtatsіino-rolyovі іhry na zaniattiakh іnozemnoi movy v profesіinіi pіdhotovtsі maibutnіkh ekonomіstіv [Business imitation-role games at foreign language classes in the professional training of future economists]. Ekonomіka. Fіnansy. Menedzhment: aktualnі pytannia nauky і praktyky – Economy, finances, management: topical issues of science and practical activity, 6 (34), 97-108 [in Ukrainian].
- Rіdel, T.M. (2017). Shliakhy pіdvyshchennia motyvatsіi pry vyvchennі anhlіiskoi movy studentamy SNAU [Ways to improve students’ motivation while mastering the English language at SNAU]. Molodyi vchenyi – Young Scientist, 12, 448-453 [in Ukrainian].
- Hrynchyshyn, O.M. (2003). Rozvytok motyvatsіi ovolodіnnia іnozemnoiu movoiu v umovakh vyshchoho vіiskovoho navchalnoho zakladu [Development of motivation for mastering a foreign language in the conditions of a higher military educational institution]. Candidate’s thesis. Khmelnytskyi: National Academy of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine named after Bogdan Khmelnitsky [in Ukrainian].
- Dovhan, L.I. (2009). Formuvannia motyvatsіi vyvchennia іnozemnoi movy studentіv nemovnoho vyshchoho navchalnoho zakladu [Formation of the motivation to study the foreign language of students of a non-linguistic higher educational institution]. Naukovі zapysky Vіnnytskoho derzhavnoho pedahohіchnoho unіversytetu іmenі Mykhaila Kotsiubynskoho. Serіia: Pedahohіka і psykholohіia – Scientific notes of Vinnytsia State Pedagogical University named after Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi. Series: Pedagogy and Psychology, 26, 95-98. DOI https://doi.org/10.32843/2663- 6085.2019.12-1.37 [in Ukrainian].
- Zimnyaya, I. A. (1986). Psihologiya optimizatsii obucheniya inostrannomu yazyiku v shkole [Psychology of optimizing learning a foreign language at school]. Inostrannyie yazyiki v shkole – Foreign languages at school, 4, 3-7. [in Russian].
- Kitaygorodskaya, G.A. (1998). Metodika intensivnogo obucheniya inostrannyim yazyikam [Methodology of intensive foreign languages studying]. M.: Vyissh. shk. [in Russian].
- Krasnoholova, I.B. (1998). Formuvannia motyvіv uchіnnia studentіv u protsesі vykladannia anhlіiskoi movy [Formation of students’ motivation while teaching English]. Candidate’s thesis. Vіnnytsia: Vinnytsia State Pedagogical University named after Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi [in Ukrainian].
- Malіnka, O.O. (2009). Osoblyvostі formuvannia motyvatsіi do vyvchennia іnozemnykh mov studentamy nelіnhvіstychnykh osvіtnіkh zakladіv [Features of the formation of the motivation to study foreign languages by students of non-linguistic educational institutions]. Naukovі zapysky Vіnnytskoho derzhavnoho pedahohіchnoho unіversytetu іmenі Mykhaila Kotsiubynskoho. Serіia: Pedahohіka і psykholohіia – Scientific notes of Vinnytsia State Pedagogical University named after Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi. Series: Pedagogy and Psychology, 26, 115-118. DOI https://doi.org/10.32843/2663- 6085.2019.12-1.38 [in Ukrainian].
- Yatsyshyn, O.M. (2003). Vyznachennia optymalnoi struktyry motyvatsіinoho syndromu vyvchennia anhlіiskoi movy studentamy ekonomіchnykh spetsіalnostei [The optimal structure of the motivation syndrome to study English language by the students of economic spatialities]. Mova. Kultura. Bіznes – Language. Culture. Business, 1, 308-316 [in Ukrainian].
- Lobachuk, I.M. (2014). Dіlova hra yak efektyvnyi zasіb navchannia studentіv nelіnhvіstychnykh VNZ іnozemnoi movy [Business game as an effective means of foreign language teaching students of non-linguistic higher educational institutions]. Naukovі zapysky Natsіonalnoho pedahohіchnoho unіversytetu іm. M. P. Drahomanova. Serіia: Pedahohіchnі ta іstorychnі nauky – Scientific notes of the National Pedagogical University named after M.P. Drahomanov. Series: Pedagogy and History, 118, 149-155 [in Ukrainian].
- Pasichnyk, O.O. (2014). Osoblyvosti vykorystannia dilovykh ihor na zaniattiakh z inozemnoii movy u VNZ [Peculiarities of using business games at foreign language classes at higher educational institutions]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu – Scientific Bulletin of Uzhgorod National University, 30, 125-127 [in Ukrainian].
- Pometun, O.I., Pobirchenko, N.S. & Kobernyk, H.I. (2008). Interaktyvni tekhnolohii: teoriia ta metodyka [Interactive technologies: theory and methodology]. Kyiv: APN [in Ukrainian].
- Tsymbal, S.V. (2015). Zastosuvannia aktyvnykh metodіv navchannia u protsesі vyvchennia anhlіiskoi movy studentіv tekhnіchnykh spetsіalnostei [Application of active teaching methods while studying English language by students of technical specialties]. Aktualnі problemy pedahohіky, psykholohіi ta profesіinoi osvіty – Urgent issues of pedagogy, psychology and vocational education, Vol. 1, 2, 43-49 [in Ukrainian].
- Gotlib, R.A. (2009). Sotsialnaya vostrebovannost. Znanie inostrannogo yazyika. [Social demand. Knowledge of foreign language]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya – Sociological research, 2, 122-127 [in Russian].
- Lightbown P. & Spada N. (1993). How Languages are Learned. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993 [in English].
- Kaletnіk, H.M., Kravets, R.A., Lazorenko, N.L., Tymkova, V.A. & Shapovaliuk, L.O. (2013). Systema dovuzіvskoi pіdhotovky v krainakh Zakhіdnoi Yevropy ta іnnovatsіinі metody navchannia u VNZ Ukrainy [The pre-university training system in Western Europe and innovative teaching methods of higher education institutions in Ukraine]. Vіnnytsia: VNAU [in Ukrainian].
- Tymoshchuk N.M. (2019). Professionally-oriented Teaching of a Foreign Language at the Agrarian University. Molod і rynok – Youth & Market, 1(168), 66-70 [in English].
- Naumenko, L., Olіinyk, O. (2018). Kohnіtyvnyi pіdkhіd u navchannі studentіv anhlіiskoi termіnoleksyky predmetnoi haluzі “mіkroekonomіka” [The cognitive approach to teaching students English terminological lexis of the subject field of “Microeconomics”]. Psykholіnhvіstyka (Fіlolohіia) – Psycholinguistics (Philology), Vol. 24, Issue 2, 236-253. DOI: [in Ukrainian].
- Thornbury, S. (2002). How to Teach Vocabulary. Longman [in English].
071 Accounting and taxation
072 Finance, banking and insurance
076 Business, trade and exchange activities
241 Hotel, restaurant and catering
281 Public administration
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is included in the "List of Scientific Professional Editions of Ukraine".
The scientific edition is assigned the Category "Б" in the field of economics in specialties 051, 071, 072, 073, 075, 076, 241, 281
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” has a Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is indexed in such database as Index Copernicus Value (https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/search/form)
The editorial board of the journal is guided by the principles of scientific, objectivity, professionalism, informational support of the most significant innovative researches, observance of standards of publishing ethics.
The purpose of the journal "Economics, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity» is the coverage of leading scientific ideas in the economic, financial and management activities of the sectors of the national economy and the involvement of representatives of the domestic and foreign scientific professional community.
Objectives of the journal:
- publication of research findings on innovation in the economy, financial and management spheres, innovation of production processes;
- expanding partnerships with international scientific publishing organizations;
- enhancing the culture of reviewing and annotating published material;
- adherence to editorial ethics.
Article publishing is a paid service. Cost for printing in professional publications in accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 27, 2010 No. 796 "On approval of the list of paid services that can be provided by state educational institutions, other institutions of the educational system belonging to state and communal ownership" and the order Rector of the Higher Education University Mazura VA dated March 14, 2018 No. 93 “On setting the cost of printing in professional editions of the University”.
The cost of printing one page in professional editions of the university is 60 UAH.
An additional copy of the magazine with the mailing list costs 250 UAH.
Recipient: Vinnytsia National Agrarian University MFO 820172 Current account No. 31256282102055 Code 00497236 Bank State Treasury Service of Ukraine, Kyiv. VAT payer code 004972302286. Registration number 100271744. Purpose of payment: for printing an article in the journal: ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity "
It was founded in 1997 under the name "Bulletin of the Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute". In 2010-2014 he was published under the title “Collection of scientific works of Vinnitsa National Agrarian University”.
From 2015 ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity” (Certificate of State Registration of Mass Media No. 21154-10954 of PR as of December 31, 2014)
The journal is the successor to the edition ”Collection of Scientific Papers of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. Series: Economic Sciences. "