AGRICULTURE IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 2018: SUMMARY AND PERSPECTIVE
ZULAUF Carl – Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics, The Ohio State University (43210, Columbus, Ohio, e-mail: email@example.com).
The Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, the latest US farm bill, contains no major realignment of spending across its 12 titles. Nevertheless, potentially important programmatic changes are authorized. Payments by commodity assistance programs are more closely tied to current market conditions, including allowing farms to annually change commodity program starting with the 2021 crop. Commitment to using private-public partnerships to address farm environmental issues is increased. US land conservation programs appear to be evolving to a pyramid policy approach composed of (1) conservation farming practices for land cropped annually (2) short term contracts to revitalize soil health, (3) environmental fallow to remove land from production for longer periods, and (4) long term conservation easements. The Research and Extension title had the largest percent increase in mandatory funding. Mandatory funding for US agricultural export programs were increased by double digits. Issues with provisions in multiple titles include organic production, local foods, urban agriculture, food wastes, legalization of hemp production, and programs to assist young, beginning, veteran, and socially disadvantage farmers.
- Coppess, J. (2018). The Fault Lines of Farm Policy: A Legislative and Political History of the Farm Bill. University of Nebraska Press: Lincoln and London. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781506365664.n118
- The National Agricultural Law Center. February 2019. Contains all US farm bills. Available at: http://nationalaglawcenter.org/farmbills/.
- US Congress. 115th Congress. December 2017. Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (formal title is H.R.1 - An Act to provide for reconciliation pursuant to titles II and V of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2018). Available at: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1. DOI: 10.2307/j.ctv80c9cw
- US Congress. 115th Congress. December 2018. Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018. Available at: https://www.agriculture.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CRPT- 115hrpt1072.pdf.
- US Congress, Congressional Budget Office. April 2018. CBO’s April 2018 Baseline for Farm Programs. Available at: https://www.cbo.gov/ sites/default/files/recurringdata/51317-2018-04-usda.pdf.
- US Congress, Congressional Budget Office. December 11, 2018. Letter to Honorable K. Michael Conway, “Direct Spending and Revenue Effects of the Conference Agreement for H.R. 2, the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018”. Available at: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=2018-12/hr2conf_0.pdf.
- US Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency. February 12, 2019. “ARC/PLC Program – ARC/PLC Election Data.” Available at: https://www.fsa.usda.gov /programs-and-services/arcplc_program/index.
- US Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service. February 12, 2019. QuickStats. Available at: http://quickstats.nass.usda.gov/.
- US Department of Agriculture, Office of the Chief Economist. February 8, 2019. World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates. WASDE-585. Available at: https://www.usda.gov/oce/commodity/wasde/index.htm.
- Zulauf, C. and C. Wolf (shared senior authorship). December 17, 2018. "Dairy Provisions in 2018 Farm Bill.” farmdoc daily (8):232. Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Available at: http://www.farmdoc.illinois.edu/.
071 Accounting and taxation
072 Finance, banking and insurance
076 Business, trade and exchange activities
241 Hotel, restaurant and catering
281 Public administration
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is included in the "List of Scientific Professional Editions of Ukraine".
The scientific edition is assigned the Category "Б" in the field of economics in specialties 051, 071, 072, 073, 075, 076, 241, 281
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” has a Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
The journal “Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practice” is indexed in such database as Index Copernicus Value (https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/search/form)
The editorial board of the journal is guided by the principles of scientific, objectivity, professionalism, informational support of the most significant innovative researches, observance of standards of publishing ethics.
The purpose of the journal "Economics, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity» is the coverage of leading scientific ideas in the economic, financial and management activities of the sectors of the national economy and the involvement of representatives of the domestic and foreign scientific professional community.
Objectives of the journal:
- publication of research findings on innovation in the economy, financial and management spheres, innovation of production processes;
- expanding partnerships with international scientific publishing organizations;
- enhancing the culture of reviewing and annotating published material;
- adherence to editorial ethics.
Article publishing is a paid service. Cost for printing in professional publications in accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 27, 2010 No. 796 "On approval of the list of paid services that can be provided by state educational institutions, other institutions of the educational system belonging to state and communal ownership" and the order Rector of the Higher Education University Mazura VA dated March 14, 2018 No. 93 “On setting the cost of printing in professional editions of the University”.
The cost of printing one page in professional editions of the university is 60 UAH.
An additional copy of the magazine with the mailing list costs 250 UAH.
Recipient: Vinnytsia National Agrarian University MFO 820172 Current account No. 31256282102055 Code 00497236 Bank State Treasury Service of Ukraine, Kyiv. VAT payer code 004972302286. Registration number 100271744. Purpose of payment: for printing an article in the journal: ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity "
It was founded in 1997 under the name "Bulletin of the Vinnytsia State Agricultural Institute". In 2010-2014 he was published under the title “Collection of scientific works of Vinnitsa National Agrarian University”.
From 2015 ”Economy, finances, management: Topical issues of science and practical activity” (Certificate of State Registration of Mass Media No. 21154-10954 of PR as of December 31, 2014)
The journal is the successor to the edition ”Collection of Scientific Papers of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. Series: Economic Sciences. "